Bait and Switch
I don't know about y'all but Fall gets me frickin' pumped. As much as I love the weather change my skin doesn't. So here I am to tell you about my transitional weather besties! This is going to be a mix of specific products and just stuff that works for me in general.
I recommend keeping a few different cleansers in rotation.
- a good oil or balm cleanser for removing makeup
- make sure its not stripping and really removes all your makeup
- a refreshing gel or foaming cleanser
- something for those days that start at 50 degrees but end somehow around 80 and you need that ultra fresh clean feeling
- a gentle hydrating option
- great for after those days you've just spent inside with the dry heat on or when the cold really decides to show up
Treatments and Serums:
This is where it gets tricky. You don't want to add too many new products into your routine that can over dry the skin. Since the weather is all over the place and seemingly your skin is too you might want to go balls to the wall and pile on tons of different treatments. Instead focus on simple exfoliation a couple times a week and stick with your normal nightly treatment serum (mine's a retinol).
- Peel pads
- a gentle but effective exfoliation method that can be done a few times a week to keep the skin smooth and keep flakies at bay
- Night serum
- my go to is still the Sunday Riley Luna sleeping oil. Helps keep my blemishes at bay while I get to pile on hydration
Keep on keepin' on with those face masks! Maybe rotate a few more hydration masks in there, especially after intense exfoliation or clarifying numbers. Try multi- masking to keep your skin balanced.
Toners and essences are really unique. They finish out your cleansing steps and start your treatments steps. They keep the skin feeling good and balanced and prep it for any treatments you've got going on!
- Micellar water or multi use cleansing toner
- great for a quick morning cleans or as your toner step
- Hydrating toner
- great to use after a more intense cleanser to rebalance skin and keep it from drying out
- Up to you. I keep a hydrating essence around for morning use and a hydrating absorption boosting one for night time.
If you don't normally use an essence this is a great time to add one in. It can boost up your other steps without overwhelming the skin with too many products!
You can incorporate this in a couple of different ways. Keep your warmer weather moisturizer going strong by adding in a hydrating serum, or switch up your nighttime cream to something a little heftier to rehydrate while you sleep!
- Hydration serum
- go for something light and layerable to keep textures from getting too heavy, you don't want to accidentally clog those pores!
- Night cream
- amp up the hydration or get that thicker texture going to keep the skin hydrated all night and to start the day fresh.
- Sleeping mask
- layer over a lighter moisturizer to amp up hydration without the heavy texture
This may seem like a lot but really what it is is making sure you rotate a couple of products to keep your skin balanced. When the weather is fluctuating its okay for your skincare to shift with it! What's your favorite transitional weather product?